The Cano article, in your Learning Resources, links diversity among and within organizations with the ability to successfully serve communities and advocate for social change broadly but also functionally—that is, as a leader by example within an organization. According to Cano (2020), “social workers must be at the forefront of the efforts to implement agendas that promote diversity and inclusion in the workforce” (p. 107).
As a student and intern, of course, these efforts must be tempered by humility and in a spirit of learning. To that end, in this Assignment you take an inventory of diversity and inclusion in your agency.
Note: The goal of this Assignment is for you to learn about your agency. It is important to recognize that agencies approach diversity and inclusion differently—therefore, the intent of this Assignment is not to critique the agency’s approach but to learn what they do.
- Review the Cano article in the Learning Resources.
- Use the Diversity and Inclusion Worksheet to record and analyze how your agency successfully works toward policies promoting diversity and inclusion.
By Day 7
Submit the completed Diversity and Inclusion Worksheet. Be sure to:
- Complete the policy inventory for your internship agency. -MY AGENCY IS DFPS (DEPARTMENT OF FAMILY AND PROTECTIVE SERVICES)
- Respond to the analysis questions found in the worksheet:
- How do agency initiatives connect to practice behaviors around diversity and to social work values?
- After reviewing how policies promoting diversity and inclusion are applied at your agency: What work do you notice at the agency related to diversity and inclusion that is not covered in the inventory, or that is not listed in agency policies? What are the gaps at the agency, and how might they be closed? (For example, who or what is missing? How is power distributed? What opportunities do you see for training and professional development surrounding diversity and inclusion?)