In this assignment, you are to critically read and evaluate a scholarly article’s strengths, weaknesses, and contributions to the study field. Learning how to critique a journal article has several benefits, including preparing you for publishing in the future and keeping you current on the literature in your field of study. The practical application is developing the ability to look at research within your organization and industry with a knowledgeable, critical eye.
The University of the Cumberlands (UC) Library subscribes to many journals and provides you access to appropriate collections to support this assignment. Using the UC Library, locate and review the following peer-reviewed articles:
1. Dysvik, A & Kuvaas, B. (2013). Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation as predictors of work effort: The moderating role of achievement goals. British Journal of Social Psychology, 52(3), 412–430. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8309.2011.02090.x.
2. Aydogmus, Metin Camgoz, S., Ergeneli, A., & Tayfur Ekmekci, O. (2018). Perceptions of transformational leadership and job satisfaction: The roles of personality traits and psychological empowerment. Journal of Management & Organization, 24(1), 81–107. https://doi.org/10.1017/jmo.2016.59
3. Fitzsimmons, Callan, V. J., & Paulsen, N. (2014). Gender disparity in the C-suite: Do male and female CEOs differ in how they reached the top? The Leadership Quarterly, 25(2), 245–266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.08.005
4. Flocco, Canterino, F., & Cagliano, R. (2021). Leading innovation through employees’ participation: Plural leadership in employee-driven innovation practices. Leadership (London, England), 17(5), 499–518. https://doi.org/10.1177/1742715020987928
5. Kuenzi, Mayer, D. M., & Greenbaum, R. L. (2020). Creating an ethical organizational environment: The relationship between ethical leadership, ethical organizational climate, and unethical behavior. Personnel Psychology, 73(1), 43–71. https://doi.org/10.1111/peps.12356
6. de Reuver, Van de Voorde, K., & Kilroy, S. (2021). When do bundles of high performance work systems reduce employee absenteeism? The moderating role of workload. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 32(13), 2889–2909. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2019.1616594
Following your review, choose one article from this list; critically evaluate the article’s strengths, weaknesses, and contribution to the study field using the outline below as a guide:
The cover page will include:
Articles Title and Author (s)
Name of Journal (s)
Date of publication
Summarize the significant aspects of the entire article, including:
The overall purpose and general area of study of the article.
The specific problem being addressed in the study.
The main findings of the article.
Briefly summarize the overall themes presented in the Literature Review.
Was the literature review applicable to the study, current and thorough?
Were there gaps in the literature review?
Identify the methodology used: qualitative, quantitative, mixed? Was the chosen methodology appropriate for the study? Why or why not?
Did the data analysis prove or disprove the research questions? Explain.
In this section, you will address the following:
Describe the article’s relevance to the field of knowledge.
Outline the strengths and weaknesses of the article. Be specific.
Based on the article, what future research do you think needs to be accomplished in this area?
What are your key points and takeaways after analyzing the article?
Proper APA in-text citation must be used. The review is to be word-processed double spaced, not less than two pages, and no more than five pages in length. Paper length does not include the cover page, abstract, or references page(s).