- Explain how the factor (i.e. genetics, gender, ethnicity, age or behavior) you selected might influence the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes in the patient from the case study you were assigned.
- Describe how changes in the processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy. Be specific and provide examples.
- Explain how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan and explain why you would make these recommended improvements. Would you discontinue any medications, change the dosage, and/or add medications to the patient’s regimen? DISCUSS EACH MEDICATION.
Case study assigned:
Patient HM has a history of atrial fibrillation and a transient ischemic attack (TIA). The patient has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia and ischemic heart disease. Drugs currently prescribed include the following:
- Warfarin 5 mg daily MWF and 2.5 mg daily T, TH, Sat, Sun
- Aspirin 81 mg daily
- Metformin 1000 mg po bid
- Glyburide 10 mg bid
- Atenolol 100 mg po daily
- Motrin 200 mg 1–3 tablets every 6 hours as needed for pain