At first glance, the different aspects of the culture factor may seem trivial in comparison to compliance and workplace setup issues. Yet, they form an underestimated barrier to working effectively. Organizations that integrate the culture factor into their thinking can increase the success of assignments and the productivity of their employees. On the other hand, companies that have the right technology and setup but ignore the realities of their culture eventually face dissatisfaction from both employees and management. Only an honest assessment of their true culture and preferences can help companies find their own ways into the world of virtual working.
The world’s increasing globalization requires more interaction among people from diverse cultures, beliefs, and backgrounds than ever before. People no longer live and work in an insular marketplace; they are now part of a worldwide economy with competition coming from nearly every continent. For this reason, profit and non-profit organizations need diversity to become more creative and open to change. Maximizing and capitalizing on workplace diversity has become an important issue for management today.
Write a 2-page paper and address the following:
- Identify cultural differences you have encountered in your job. This may include issues related to the work styles of your manager and/or co-workers, the culture of the work unit or organization, etc.
- Explore the advantages to be gained from hiring persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Identify relevant diversity factors existing in the present workforce.
- What actions have you taken to adapt to these cultural differences? Were they effective? Why or why not?
- Evaluate company practices that facilitate acceptance of cultural differences and how they contribute effectively to the organization.
Indent 5 spaces for a new paragraph.
Do not double-double space between paragraphs